Local Home Shifting Tips & Checklist
Don’t allow your home shifting to jeopardize your everyday life and cause unwarranted tension and stress. When you prepare your move in advance with the help of our step by step local household shifting checklist, your home relocation process is sure to get much more organized and hassle free. It is recommended that you print this checklist and keep it handy during the entire process of your shifting.
The Ultimate Local Moving Checklist:
One month before the move
- Research: Start finding out more about your new locality and look out for new schools, hospitals, childcare etc.
- Get the quotes: Contact two or more moving companies in your locality, compare the quotes and start preparing a moving budget.
- Inventory your items: Think of how you will go about moving your valuable items and items which are difficult to replace.
- Sort and purge: Once you have decided to shift to a new home, its time for you to think about the things you’d like to keep with you and the ones you want to get rid of. Consider selling or donating the items you don’t wish to carry with you.
- Make arrangements for moving your pets: Create a travel plan for your pets so as to avoid confusion on the moving day. If you have plants in your home then consider preparing them for the move.
- Start packing: If you have decided to handle the packing on your own then you need to order boxes and other packing supplies at least 2 weeks before the move. Start your packing well in advance and make sure to label each box with its contents and the space where it is destined.
- Finalize the deal with a moving company: Now that you have received quotes from 2-3 moving companies, it is time for you to choose the one which provides you with the most cost effective services.
- Notify the utility services: Call the following departments in your present and future home for cancelling, transferring and setting up new services.
- Trash collection
- Update your address: Now that you are about to move to a new address, you need to file a change of address and notify all your friends, family and acquaintances about your new address.
- Notify other businesses about your new address: The following services should also be notified about your changed address-
- Insurance Company
- Credit card company
- Auto Insurance Company
- Monthly memberships
- Home care service providers
- Any other services which might require your updated address.
- Make parking arrangements: Make sure where you moving truck is going to be parked on the day of the shifting and obtain parking permission if required.
- Prepare your old home: Create a folder containing important information about your home for the next home owner. Leave a note with your new address and phone numbers so that any stray mail can be forwarded to you.
A week before the move
- Create an essentials box: Fill this box with all the important things you will need once you arrive at your new destination. This box should contain items like utensils, light bulbs, tool kits and any other items you might need immediately after your arrival.
- Prepare your appliances: Defrost your refrigerator, clean your ovens, and prepare any other home appliances at least one day before the move.
- Talk to your moving company about any special requirements: This is the time when you need to talk to the packers and movers about any special moving requirements you have.
- Check for the license of the moving company: Before you entrust your valuable possessions to the hands of a moving company, you need to ascertain the license, service tax registration, landline number and physical address of your shifting service provider. Visiting the brick and mortar office of the shifting company is always a good idea.
On the day of the shifting
- Clear the way: Ensure that nothing is blocking the way from your home to the moving truck. Move potted plants, ladders, shoe racks or any other items which might hinder the moving of heavy items like furniture. You can also consider placing wall, floor and door frame protector in your home to evade scratching the surfaces.
- Make a final walkthrough: Before you leave your home make sure to check all the rooms for one last time to ensure that all your items are packed and nothing important is left behind.
- Take photos of items before moving them: Taking pictures of your valuable possessions before packing is a real good idea. In case your items get damaged in transit, these pictures would help your prove that your goods were not already damaged.
- Switch off all the lights and fans before you leave home. Make sure to close all the doors and windows just before leaving your old house.
- Carry all your valuable items like jewelery, certificates, paperwork, keys etc. on yourself. Never hand over such items to your moving company.
Moving in to your new home
- After moving in to your new house, the first thing you need to do clean it up and ensure everything is working fine before your goods arrive.
- While unloading your items, always unpack the essential items first and place them in their respective space.
- In case any of your items go amiss, notify your moving company immediately.
- Now that your ordeal has come to an end its time to say hello to your new neighbors.
Wrapping it up
Moving all your household items is a real strenuous process which is why you need to start planning early. A moving checklist can come real handy on the day of your move since it’s very easy to follow and keeps you on the right track. Keep in mind that although hiring a competent moving company is going to make the task a lot easier, yet you need to physically supervise the shifting process to avoid any costly mistakes.