Your Guide to Top 10 Best Places to Live in Chennai
Looking for a new place to call home can be an exciting yet overwhelming experience, especially when you're unfamiliar with the city or area you're moving to. Chennai, the capital city of Tamil Nadu in India, is a thriving metropolis with a rich cultural heritage and a rapidly growing economy. With so many neighbourhoods to choose from, finding the best area to live in Chennai can be a daunting task.
In this blog, we'll explore some of the best residential areas in Chennai that offer a high quality of life, access to modern amenities, and a sense of community. Whether you're a family looking for a quiet neighbourhood with good schools or a young professional seeking a vibrant and dynamic area, there's something for everyone in Chennai. So, let's dive in and discover some of the best places to live in Chennai that offer comfort, convenience, and a great lifestyle.
Adyar is one of the most comfortable residential areas located in south Chennai on the banks of the Adyar river. This area has a mixture of residential and commercial developments, with multiple hospitals, schools, restaurants, and pubs covering all essential daily living requirements.
Adyar has become a popular residential area because it is well-connected to all major parts of Chennai through the Mass Rapid Transit System and bus services, which run within and between the city at reasonable costs.
Note: The average monthly rent for a 2BHK apartment in Adyar can range from ₹20,000 to ₹35,000.
Essential things needed for daily life requirements in Adyar:
- Schools: Bharath Senior Secondary School, St Michael's Academy Kendriya Vidyalaya, St Johns English School & Junior College, The Chennai School (International Baccalaureate), etc.
- Entertainment Places: Adyar Eco Park, Snake Park, Broken bridge, etc.
- Malls: Muthu Nadar Complex, Adyar Gandhinagar Shopping Centre, etc.
- Parks for relaxation: Indira Nagar Park, Kasturibai Gandhi Grounds, Corporation Children’s Park, etc.
#2 Besant Nagar
Besant Nagar is a well-planned neighbourhood and residential area in Chennai located on the coast of the Bay of Bengal that has seen a steady increase in corporate establishments and population.
It is one of the good areas to live in Chennai and is famous for its beach, temples, yoga centres, art galleries and fine dining options. Additionally, the area boasts a safe and dependable public transportation system with a terminus.
Note: The average rent for a 2BHK apartment in Besant Nagar can range from ₹25,000 to ₹45,000 per month.
Essential things needed for daily life needs in Besant Nagar:
- Schools: St. John's English School and Junior College, Olcott Memorial High School, Besant LVR Matriculation School, Redwood Montessori School, etc.
- Attractive Places: Elliot’s beach, Aqua Paradise, Ashtalakshmi Temple, Adyar Banyan Tree, Ayyappan Temple, etc.
- Malls: Maalgaadi, Tnhb Shopping Complex, G N Store, Edward Stores, etc.
- Nearby parks: Corporation Park, CPWD Quarters Park, Besant Gardens, etc.
Mylapore has played an essential role in the development of Chennai, preceding the city itself by more than 1,500 years. Despite its age, famous temples, and societies, Mylapore has become a favourite residential area due to its affordable housing, schools, and connectivity to significant parts of the city through the MTC buses.
People prefer Mylapore because of its Citi Centre Mall, Uber-cool pubs, clubs, and restaurants, where they can relax and refresh themselves in their free time. Mylapore is home to hundreds of temples, churches, mosques, and also famous for its street food and cultural festivals, making it a popular choice among tourists and locals alike.
Note: The average rent for a 2BHK apartment in Mylapore can range from ₹25,000 to ₹40,000 per month.
Essential things needed for daily life requirements in Mylapore:
- Schools: P. S. Senior Secondary School, The Oxford School, Vidya Mandir Senior Secondary School, etc.
- Attractive places: Ramakrishna Temple, San Thome Church, Sri Parthasarathy Temple, Escape Cinemas, etc.
- Malls: Mr. Burger, Kuchery Road, Mylapore Shopping Hub, TNHB Shopping Complex, etc.
- Parks for refreshment: Nageshwara Rao Park, Bheemasena Garden, Corporation Park & Children's Playground, etc.
#4 Anna Nagar
Anna Nagar is one best places in Chennai to live, especially among students and corporate workers, due to its central location and easy access to all necessary amenities. The area is well-developed, featuring wide roads and beautiful parks, along with multiple good schools, shopping malls, and a variety of exciting places to explore.
The area enjoys excellent connectivity to all parts of the city via buses and shared autos. Being the primary residential hub, it is home to many renowned doctors, politicians, and lawyers. This makes it a preferred choice among families and professionals seeking a tranquil and well-connected lifestyle.
Note: The average rent for a 2BHK apartment in Anna Nagar can range from ₹20,000 to ₹35,000 per month.
Essential things needed for daily life needs in Anna Nagar:
- Schools: S.B.O.A School and Junior College, Jaigopal Garodia Vivekananda Vidyalaya, Chinmaya Vidyalaya Senior Secondary School, etc.
- Attractive Places: Chennai Rail Museum, Anna Tower, Modern Entertainment Chennai, etc.
- Malls: VR Chennai, F.S. Shoppe, Simba, Designer World, etc.
- Nearby Parks: Bull Park, Thiruvalluvar Kudiyiruppu Park, Bougainvillea Park, Vasuki Park, etc.
Alwarpet is a fashionable locality known for its high-profile residents, including legislators, actors, and public figures. Property prices are relatively high in this area, as it is sought after for its famous apartments constructed by well-known names in the real estate industry.
This area is perfect for anyone who loves sports, as they can spend their time at the Paddington Sports Bar, or enjoy their free time in nightclubs, famous cafes, and restaurants. The area is well-connected to all major parts of the city through local bus services.
Note: The average rent for a 2BHK apartment in Alwarpet can range from ₹30,000 to ₹50,000 per month.
Essential things needed for daily life needs in Alwarpet:
- Schools: Kheal Play School & Creche, Boston International School, St. Fracis Xavier Matriculation High School, Bharatha Niketan, etc.
- Famous Places: Kamarajar Statue, Shree Sai Baba Temple, Semmozhi Poonga, Mahatma Gandhi Statue, etc.
- Malls: Land Marvel, D.R Shopping Mall, etc.
- Parks: Shri Padhuka, Nageshwara Rao Park, etc.
Nungambakkam is situated at the heart of Chennai and along the Cooum River. It offers a plethora of amenities and services to its residents, such as top-rated educational institutions, shopping centres, and a diverse range of restaurants, bars, and nightlife options.
Its close proximity to the city's central business district has made it one of the most desirable residential areas in Chennai, offering an ideal combination of urban convenience and natural beauty.
Note: The average rent for a 2BHK apartment in Nungambakkam can range from ₹25,000 to ₹40,000 per month.
Essential things needed for daily life needs in Alwarpet:
- Schools: Padma Seshadri, M.O.P. Vaishnav College for Women, Loyola School of Commerce and Economics etc.
- Attractive Places: Kamakshi Amman Temple, Government Museum, Semmozhi Poonga etc.
- Malls: Express Avenue Mall, Spencer Plaza, Alsa Mall, etc.
- Nearby Parks: Arignar Anna Park, Anathai bench, Valluvar Kottam, etc.
Injambakkam is a lovely coastal suburb located on the ECR in the southern part of Chennai. It is famous for its beautiful beaches, serene atmosphere, and luxurious resorts. Injambakkam has become a highly sought-after residential area in Chennai because of its outstanding schools, shopping centers, and dining choices.
The suburb is well-connected to other parts of Chennai, with multiple transportation options available, including buses, taxis, and auto-rickshaws. The Chennai International Airport is easily accessible, making it a perfect location for frequent travellers.
Note: The average rent for a 2BHK apartment in Injambakkam can range from ₹12,000 to ₹25,000 per month.
Essential things needed for daily life needs in Injambakkam:
- Schools: St. John's Injambakkam School, VGP Philominal Matriculation School, Vaels International School, Injambakkam, etc.
- Attractive Places: VGP Snow Kingdom, Click Art Museum, Golden Beach, Enchambakkam Beach, etc.
- Parks: Childrens Park, Khalil Garden, etc.
Velachery is one of Chennai's oldest and most prestigious suburbs located in the southern part of Chennai. It serves as an essential link between the OMR IT corridor, the GST road, and the city's major business areas. The suburb has several renowned schools and colleges, making it an ideal location for families with children.
Velachery enjoys excellent connectivity to other parts of Chennai, with multiple transportation options available, such as buses, trains, and the metro. The Chennai International Airport is also conveniently accessible, making it an ideal location for frequent travellers.
Note: The average rent for a 2BHK apartment in Velachery can range from ₹14,000 to ₹25,000 per month.
Essential things needed for daily life needs in Velachery:
- Schools: San Academy CBSE School,D.A.V. Public School, Government Higher Secondary School, etc.
- Attractive Places: Subramanya Swamy Temple, Dhandeeswaram Temple, Velachery lake, etc.
- Malls: Grand Square, Phoenix Marketcity, ASV Crown Plaza, etc.
- Parks: Velachery Park, Thiruvalluvar Park, Ramagiri Park, etc.
Sholinganallur is a rapidly developing residential and IT neighbourhood situated in the southern outskirts of Chennai. It is located in close proximity to multiple IT parks and SEZs, and has witnessed remarkable growth in terms of infrastructure and real estate over the years.
Moreover, there are several malls, educational institutions, hospitals, banks, and IT companies in the area, making Sholinganallur one of the best areas to reside in Chennai.
Note: The average rent for a 2BHK apartment in Sholinganallur can range from ₹12,000 to ₹22,000 per month.
Essential things needed for daily life needs in Sholinganallur:
- Schools: Velammal New Gen Sholinganallur, Gateway The Complete School (IGCSE), Sacred Heart Global School - CBSE, etc.
- Attractive Places: ISKCON Chennai, Sri Raman Thangal Lake, Sri Prathyangira Devi Temple, etc.
- Parks: Sholinganallur Corporation Park, Nedunchezhiyan Park, Narayanasamy MainRoad Park, etc.
Porur, a rapidly growing neighbourhood in the western part of Chennai and is located at the junction of two major highways - the Chennai Bypass Road and the Mount-Poonamallee Road.
Porur is a preferred location for IT professionals due to its excellent infrastructure, seamless transit access to other parts of the city, including key business centres, shopping malls, hospitals, and educational institutions.
Note: The average rent for a 2BHK apartment in Porur can range from ₹15,000 to ₹25,000 per month.
Essential things needed for daily life needs in Porur:
- Schools: Narayana Olympiad School - Porur, Swamy's School, Alpha Arts and Science College, Velammal Vidyalaya Karambakkam, etc.
- Attractive Places:Sree Ramanatheeswarar Temple, Ponniyamman Koil Park, etc.
- Parks: Porur Corporation Park, Karambakkam Park, Ponniyamman Koil Park, etc.
Chennai is a city that offers a plethora of options when it comes to residential areas. From the bustling city centre to quieter suburbs, there is something for everyone. Whether you are looking for a luxurious lifestyle or a budget-friendly one, Chennai has it all. With a diverse range of neighbourhoods to choose from, you are sure to find the perfect place to call home in this vibrant and culturally rich city.