The Ultimate Guide to Transport Bike by Train in India
It is a popular misconception in India that carrying two-wheelers by train is a troublesome process. However, transporting your motorcycle by train is much easier if you know the correct method and how to get it done. Transporting two-wheelers by train is also far less expensive in reality and most likely the safest.
In this blog, we have covered all the procedures you will need to understand on bike transportation via trains. This can clarify the method and rules to follow when contacting the rail authority.
How to Transport a Bike Through the Indian Railways?
There are two options to consider when transporting two-wheeler by train in India, i.e., by parcel or luggage.
- If you are sending the bike to be picked up by someone or yourself later at another station, you can opt for parcel service.
- If you are travelling on the same train, you can opt to transport it as luggage.
Bike Transport by Train as Luggage: Step-by-Step Procedure
Transferring as luggage is the quickest way to move your two-wheeler. Ensure you collect your bike as soon as the train arrives at the destination station. Follow these steps to transport a bike as luggage.
Step 1: Arrive at the railway luggage booking office at least 2-3 hours before your train's departure time, as packing, emptying the fuel tank, and labelling the motorbike take some time.
Step 2: Bring copies of all relevant documents, such as the RC of the bike, ID proof, and the travel ticket, to the railway station's luggage booking office.
Step 3: Fill out the luggage booking form with the required details and make payments for their services.
Step 4: Get your bike packed by professionals.
Step 5: Carry your luggage booking receipt and the train ticket endorsement.
Step 6: When you arrive at the destination station, visit the luggage office with the train ticket and luggage booking receipt.
Step 7: The authorities will issue a dispatch or delivery receipt.
Step 8: Receive your bike from the designated railway compartment.
Bike Transport by Train as Parcel: Step-by-Step Procedure
Choosing a bike parcel service might be significantly less expensive than sending a bike on the train as luggage. Make bike parcel service reservations in advance, and you can expect the delivery at the destination station within 5-7 days.
Step 1: Visit the parcel office on the day of moving or before the day you want to get your bike moved. Carry all required documents to make the booking.
Step 2: Have your bike professionally packaged by professionals or do it yourself.
Step 3: Fill out the bike parcel form with the necessary information, including the bike's chassis and engine number, and then make the payments. Collect the receipt for parcel booking or Parcel waybill.
Step 4: Write the booking receipt number on the bike for easy identification at delivery time.
Step 5: The rail authorities will determine which train to transport the bike to the destination. So, before you leave, confirm the delivery date and time at the parcel office.
Step 6: Make sure to pick up your bike within 48 hours of being transferred to the railway authorities' warehouse. If the delay exceeds 48 hours, they levy additional charges.
Step 7: Carry the parcel booking receipt before you go to collect the bike. Look for the bike receipt number on the bike for speedy pickup.
Important Documents Required for Two-Wheeler Transport by Train
Before transporting your bike by train as luggage or a parcel, you must be handy with certain vital documents. Here is the list of essential documents you need.
- Reservation Ticket (if you choose the luggage option)
- Photocopy of bike insurance paper
- Registration Certification of the bike.
- Government-issued ID proof – Aadhaar card, driving license, Voter ID card, Pan Card, Passport, etc.
Indian Railway Parcel Booking Office Timing
You may schedule parcel bike transportation between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., and luggage bike transportation at any time because they are available 24 hours a day.
Bike Transportation Charges By Indian Railway
Packing charges can vary from Rs 300 to Rs 1000 based on the quality of packing materials used
Delivery cost depends on the bikes weight and to the destination bike has to be moved.
Insurance cost depend on the value of the bike. Extra charges do not apply to bike transport price declarations up to Rs 10,000. Following that, the insurance fee will be 3% of the stated value of your bike.
Factors Affecting The Cost of Bike Transport by Train
- Distance to be travelled
- Weight of the bike
Bike Transport Rules by the Indian Railway
1. Before transferring your bike by train, empty the fuel tank. A fine of Rs. 1000 can be imposed for violating this rule.
2. If your bike gets damaged or lost during a train accident, the rail authorities will pay for the loss or damage based on the declared value of the bike.
3. The bike's engine and chassis numbers must be listed in the package form since they will be verified at delivery.
4. If you fail to unload and collect your bike from the destination station, you can again make a parcel booking with the rai authorities at the nearest railway station and collect your bike.
Preparation Tips for Transporting your Bike by Train
- Avoid the last-minute hassle and carry the bike to the railway station early.
- Dismantle the mirrors of the bike and pack them separately.
- Keep all the required documents handy.
- Book the parcel for transportation at least 1 or 2 days in advance.
- You cannot include Helmet or other accessories while sending the motorcycle as a parcel.
- Don't leave the key and turn the ignition off.
With the Indian railways hosting a nationwide network, you can now get fast and reliable bike transportation services, even for longer distances. The railways have networks that expand in every direction and charge economical rates. With its efficient services, you can now rely on the railways to help you with your moving endeavours, enabling you to send your bike as a parcel or luggage with bike parcel services.